Friday, July 18, 2008

How to create your own career?

I have been asked by many of my colleagues and juniors on how to build and manage career. As I stand at an interesting crossroad on my career, and I don’t know if I am successful yet in what I am trying to do now, I have been considered successful till now and therefore I believe I have some words of suggestion, that you as a reader may find interesting.

Here are some pointers on how to build your career?

  1. Setting GOALS is a very important aspect of life.
    a. GOALS must be S.M.A.R.T (Specific-Measurable-Actionable-Result Oriented-TimeBound)
    b. Life can have many aspects. Decide what are most important aspects for you. Some examples of life aspects for which you can decide goals could be: Job, Finance, Personal, Professional.
  2. Roadmap – you need to have a roadmap / a plan, on what you want to do with your life. 
    a. Those who are at the start of their career need to create a roadmap of 25 years / 10 years / 5 years / 2 years timeframe.
    b. Those who are in the middle of their career need to look at the 15/10/5 year timeframe or any chunk that they feel comfortable to manage.
    c. Those in their late years can only plan on a 5 year horizon at most.
  3. Network – ability to leverage networks is very important. Build networks that can:
    a. Give you advice on how to shape your career
    b. Provide you with opportunities
    c. Help you have fun 

These three are essential the building blocks of your career. They form the strategy. 

Next time on this topic, I will discuss how to operationalise this strategy.


No comments: